A Song For Women by Debra Snyder Heard
" I paint with the same stubbornness I need for living." By Suzanne Valadon
My painting, “A Song for Women”, is a reminder to all women to enjoy life and to have fun! Women spend years cleaning, motivating egos of love ones and others, cooking, working, raising children, … that we spend little time on ourselves doing the things that we love. Most of the time we have to reach our 50th birthday to realize that our time is almost up! My art goal is for women, who look at my paintings, be reminded to enjoy life, and spend time having fun!
This painting is of a young girl I photographed at a Texas Renaissance Festival years ago. I loved the feminine quality and the sound of her guitar playing.
It has been many years since I have painted in oils. I put it aside because it is hard to hold a full time job, raise a family, and paint at the same time. Now that my children are grown and I work part time. I have the time to start enjoying painting again!
Three Instruction guide books that I’m reading are:
1. Oil painting Secrets A From Master by Linda Cateura that is about David A. Leffel as a teacher. (Very good book)
2. Problem Solving for Oil Painters by Gregg Kreutz.
3. Richard Schmid’s ALLA PRIMA All I know about Oil Painting, (What I’m reading now and is an excellent book).
Things I’m doing to improve my artwork:
1. Read books on how to oil paint my masters who’s work I enjoy.
2. There are some oil painting workshops (will have to travel) that I have lined up to attend.
3. I think the best teacher in oil painting is experience. Painting every day!
My paintings will only get better!
Thank you for reading my blog!
Debra Snyder Heard